Wednesday 8 July 2015

Brown Dude Almost Died in the Smoky Mountains

Last Sunday did not go as I thought it would, I had a late start and I decided to do a out, loop & back to Skyline Drive. As I was getting into North Van the sky looked like the world was ending and I should of taken that a sign of how the day would go.

My view in the morning, yikes...
From Skyline, took my "favorite" section of the Baden Powell to Grouse and down Nancy Green Way to Cleveland Dam. Supposedly I was spotted by Sean but I did see him. I did good for time all the way there and refilled my water bottles, I am packing just under 4L of water. I assumed that would be enough. But you know what happens when you assume, you make an ass out of yourself. :)
 
My smoky view of the Lions from Cleveland Dam
Capilano Reservoir, looking really low
More evidence of our water shortage
Brother's Creek, more like Brother's Trickle
A sad sight
The climb up to Hollyburn Mountain was fine and I made it to the peak within 4 hours from Skyline. Nothing much exciting happen, I did run into a couple from England that we getting ready for the Knee Knacker. This is where I should of turned around and just went back to the car, but no I had to bag Strachan also. So I proceeded down the trail marked dangerous.

View from Hollyburn
Sometimes you should just take advice from a sign
I made a few wrong turns but nothing that took me out of my way more then a couple meters. By the time I got to the plane wreckage I had to sit down to rest, after eating and drinking I felt good again and slowly made my way to the south peak. Now I don't know which peak is actually in the bagger challenge but like last year I was determined to bag both the south and north peaks of Strachan.
Plane Wreckage
View from Strachan
Once again I had to rest in the shade on the north peak, but I felt really good afterwards and figured that it would be a quick bomb down Christmas Gully to the Howe Sound Crest Trail. On the way down I ran into some hikers that we out of water and I shared some of my what with them. I did tell them to head back but I think they continued on. I hope they were okay.

As I made my way down to HSCT, I started feeling bad, like really bad and finally slipped. This was the last straw for me, as soon as I had cell service I had to call the rescue vehicle to come get me at Cypress. 

Minor Cut












Lucky I had help coming because by the time I was at Cypress, I was hurting badly and over heating. On the ground the throwing up, I really nice couple helped me out while I waited for my parents to come get me. Sometimes you have to call it quits before you actually die.

Not to bad after it was all cleaned up
So another failed day at any real distance, that got me thinking with only 40ish days till Squamish, I am in real trouble. I think I'll have to do less bagging, which I am not really doing all the well in and more runnable trails with some elevation. Possibly loops to allow for an aid station for food and water so I don't have to carry as much. 

So with that in mind, I decided to end my day with some yummy food from My Greek Taverna and my special brew. For those of you have never tried my special brew it's amazing. And thanks Sean for checking to make sure I was alive. :)
My meal to make myself feel better
Meal done

No comments:

Post a Comment