Tuesday 21 July 2015

“I can't”

Today I have decided to have a little rant about why you shouldn't use the phrase “I can't”...

I'm sure everyone at some point has used this phase:
  • I can't live without my morning coffee
  • I can't live without my car
  • I can't go dancing in public
  • I can't cover 100 miles on foot
  • I can't do this, I can't do that
  • I can't, I can't, I can't
    Okay so maybe I when a little overboard with I can't, you should never use that phrase; it leads to a harmful way of thinking and usually ends up limiting one's self. There are countless examples of this phase hurting people's chances at more fulfilling life for themselves and a chance to grow as an individual. So don't limit yourself with I can't, just say I presently struggle with __________.
    • I presently struggle with the Insanity workout.
    • I presently struggle with my budget.
    • I presently struggle with completing 100milers. 
    • I presently struggle with cutting back on my beer intake, wait shouldn't this be the other way around, I presently struggle with drinking more beer :P
    Well you get the point. It's a better way to think about things once you make the mental switch and if you hear me saying I can't feel free to introduce me to your fist.

    I credit Tony Horton for this mindset because of his humorous phrases got me through a lot of the P90x workout, back when I was actually doing P90x.

    If you can eliminate the mindset that ‘I can’t. I can’t do pull ups.’ Forget I can’t – say ‘I presently struggle with’ and if you keep that mindset then over the course of time, someone who’s dream was to do two or three could turn it into twenty and more. - Tony Horton, P90X

    No comments:

    Post a Comment