Wednesday 25 June 2014

Fort Langley Historic Half

This is a write up a did earlier this year, comparing my first half to what it was like to run the course 2 years later. By the way the Fort Langley Historic Half is what set off my drive to go further distances. 

My First Half

I had just finished my classes, when Balfour walked up to my desk and said, “Just registered for a half marathon, are you in?” After running a couple 10k's over the last couple years this was a goal of mine but always someday. So finding out that he is asking me to join him in 5 weeks with no training was something that I was very hesitant to do. Balfour was very persistent and asked, “If not now, when?” This was the question that sparked the fire, within a few minutes, I was online with my credit card in hand signing up for a 21k race, unprepared and nervous. But hey, what's the worst that can happen right?

About few days later, something bad did happen, I came home after work and developed a throbbing pain in the side of my abdomen that slowly intensified. A few hours later I ended up in the emergency room and found out I have a kidney stone. At this point I contemplated dropping out of the race, but the little guy inside my head said, “what are you, a crybaby?” and from that moment on my tone for running was set.

On race day, I was on the start line with no preparation but filled with excitement to start the race. I had only 2 goals in mind to see if I will be able to hit the 10k mark close to an hour and finish the race. As the race started, I tried to keep Balfour in sight but by the 2k mark he was gone and I was slowly being passed by majority of the people. I noticed the 2.5hr pace bunny was just behind me and decided to follow him. I made it to the 10k mark with time of 1 hr and 8mins. I realized how out of shape I was but keep my spirits high. The course I was running was a very hilly course I struggled to keep running up until the 16k mark. At that point I hit a wall that I will never forget. My body ached, every step was painful and I was not able to run anymore. I was determined to finish so I kept walking just hoping to see the finish line soon. I finished the race with a time of 2hrs and 42mins, very sad for someone of my age. Although not my worst time, that would be my second half that I ran.

Something did come over me at the finish line, a sense of accomplishment that I have never felt in my life. My mind opened up to the possibility that even though I struggled throughout the race, there is not a distance I can not cover on foot. This really set me on the path to fitness, health and the craziness that followed.


Update 2 years later

I have never felt better about my physical fitness or health, my mental state was a completely different story and probably the worst it had ever been due to unforeseen and out of my control circumstances. By now I have completed a number of races from half marathons, a snow shoe race, several number of 10k's, a full marathon (we shall not speak of this), couple endurance trail races and an ultra marathon. My best time for a half has been 2hr and 4mins on a flat course. I wanted an little extra motivation to break the 2hr mark I made a one sided bet with my training partner, Dustin, 2 pitchers of beer if I don't get under 2hrs and I really did not want to pay out.

Starting in the first seed, I was nervous about the race, like before I was not really training for speed. Most of my training has been for longer distances preparing myself for a couple ultras in the summer. Once again my thoughts were, I can do this. As the race started I was relatively at the front of the pack and it scared me a little. Was I going too hard at the beginning? I didn't let the negative thoughts get to me and I stuck with my plan. Steady pace for the first 11k then slowly increase my pace until the end.

One odd thing that did happen was I was slowly passing people and the few people that did pass me came from behind and passed me relatively quickly. This shocked me, as I was never one to think of myself as a fast runner. If you knew me in high school, you would know that I don't belong here. I was at the 10k mark in less than 55 minutes with lots of energy left. Thinking to myself, sub 2 hours should be easily obtainable, so I decided to go for 1hr 50mins. I continued to push harder then I ever felt like I have until I reached the 18k mark. This is where things became really hard for me. I took a few very short walking breaks (less then 20 secs each) and pressed on. When I finally saw the fort I started to sprint only to realize that the finish line was a lot further then I initially realized but with spectators watching I closed my eyes and kept the pace up. I crossed the finish line in 1hr 51 min and 2 secs; also started coughing like I was about to throw up, event organizers were checking up on me while Dustin was laughing. He knows my finishes are not always glamorous. :P


If there is one thing that I would like you to take away from my experience is that is capable of doing a half marathon, any distance or goal that their mind wants. It's okay to not always hit your targets squarely the first time but with patience and will power you can achieve anything. As someone who was never athletic, finished last place every single run in high school PE class, smoked & drank heavily for years before turning my life around is able to do this, anyone can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment